|It had the potential to be straightforward...|
When we arrived to pick up the keys on 14 August, we were told that there was a problem with the elevator that started about an hour before we arrived. This happens occasionally, we were told, but it's typically back up and running within an hour. It should be no problem for our scheduled moving day 2 days later, when we were to head up to the 5th floor (that's the 6th floor for the North Americans). The key exchange was normal - and since we brought some cleaning supplies along with us we gave the place a quick once-over before measuring the spaces for refrigerator and stove and heading off to the appliance store.
The next day, Mark carried a few things over to the new place on his bike and arrived to find that the elevator was still broken, with a new note attached to the doors saying that the defect was with a custom piece that needed to be replaced, which would happen when it could happen. We moved our moving truck reservation to 21 August, figuring that surely everything would be fixed a whole week later. In the meantime, some friends lent us their car so we could still start sleeping in the new place as planned, making it feel like home before Little Man was scheduled to start at his new school a little over a week later. At this point in the process, the cats deduced that all of our strange behavior with the boxes over the past few weeks was actually a sign of the End of Times. Thanks to our friends' for the use of their car, we got a surprising amount of stuff over to the new place with a day and a half's work and started forcing our moving plan into a new mold.
Initially, we left most things where they originally stood in the old house waiting for the moving day. But when we remembered that because we had reserved a carpet cleaner for Tuesday, we needed to get everything big and heavy off the carpeted level of the old place to actually clean the carpet. We rode over on our bikes and moved everything down a level. With everything jammed into the living room area, it was impossible to clean the main level, so instead of cleaning the whole house in one day as originally planned, so I started breaking up the work into stages based on accessibility. We made due with the new piecemeal schedule, though it meant more bike trips back and forth between the two homes to make it work.
By the time Wednesday rolled around, the elevator was still broken with signs of the elevator company only beginning to remove the old broken pieces, and they had no idea if the new piece was completed yet or not. We decided that with all the cleaning work we still needed to do in the old place, we couldn't wait any longer - Thursday would have to go on as planned, sans elevator. We steadied our nerves and preemptively popped a few ibuprofen. We're lucky to have some amazing friends - one friend took Little Man for the morning while another helped us with the furniture in the truck and carrying it up. We schlepped most of what we own up all 5 flights of stairs while wondering where all this junk came from and left the heaviest and bulkiest items in our storage unit (that is thankfully only a half a flight down). We even managed to get our beds all put together and coaxed the cats down from the ceiling, and called it good enough for a pizza dinner and beer reward.
On Friday, in full accordance with Murphy's Law, the elevator was fixed and fully operational.
After struggling to decide if I wanted to jump for joy or beat my head against the wall, I decided to use the elevator exclusively for the next month whether I needed it or not.
|It could have been worse - We had a working truck and didn't need to inquire if this|
bad boy was available for hire. And it wasn't raining, so there's that.
And that brings us pretty much up to speed. Just retelling the story is making me feel tired again, but we're liking the new place and getting settled in and we're really close to having a normal routine back. So, more to come from me now that the Summer of Insanity has come to an end. It's good to be back.