We learned a few fun facts in the past week:
1. Antihistamines are not sold over-the-counter in the Netherlands. A few minutes of Google research showed that antihistamines are a controlled substance in the Netherlands and only available with a prescription,which a doctor may or may not issue. There are over-the-counter remedies for Hay Fever and other general allergic reactions, but don't expect to find Benedryl or anything else that will let you sleep through your allergies.
2. Pseudoephedrine-related products are also not sold in stores. This doesn't really bother us since we're more "suffer through your cold" people, but we found out while looking for antihistamines.
3. You really can expect an appointment with your home doctor (primary care doctor) the same day without the assistant hemming and hawing about whether or not it's worth cramming you in for 15 minutes at the end of the day. Actually, we already knew this, but it was nice to see it still works. Having dealt with an over-sized medical group in Chicago who's appointment-making department had no connection to the medical offices, this is a very welcome change.
4. It's okay to have a stockpile of OJ in the pantry, it may just come in handy one week.
5. It's amazing how much housework will build up over the week when all you do is lay on the couch.
Now we hope to be back to normal this week, starting with all the housework, and regular postings again.